Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance



I love this game.

There isn't enough room on this internet to describe how much I love this game, but I'll try.

Metal Gear Rising: REVENGEANCE (always caps), developed by Platinum Games, accomplished an impossible task: Make Raiden from the Metal Gear Solid series cool.


If you told me 10 years ago I would end up liking this guy, I'd punch you.


REVENGEANCE is a character-action game where players follow Raiden on his whacky adventure to cut everything with his sword. I think character-action games are misunderstood. They're not about throwing everything at the player in an intense twitch-fest. The most important thing that defines a good character-action game is rhythm.

A great action game has a rhythm of punching/blocking/dodging/slashing that a player naturally eases into until it becomes a beautiful dance of death. REVENGEANCE has rhythm in spades: every weapon is like an instrument that has its own tempo. Each enemy is designed to play with that rhythm, interfere with it, but never destroy it. What you end up with is a game that is infinitely fun at its base, but also rewarding for digging deeper and exploring it.

I love how absolutely stupid the story is and how straight face they try to play it.




This whole article could have been just pictures of quotes from this game that no amount of context will fix. Its over the top, stupid, and I love it.

I love all the little touches, like a "detective mode" but changed so it doesn't overwhelm the rest of the game. I love how they still have stealth segments that actually work, but are completely fine if you just go guns blazing (like all the metal gear solid games). I love how amazingly designed each boss fight is, accompanied with music so-bad-its-good.

Metal Gear Rising: REVENGEANCE is an example on how to do a character-action game right; have a simple rhythm that is fun, but can grow in depth and complexity if you want it to.

I love this game so freaking much. 100%

<3 Ben Petrisor, Game Designer at Wizards of the Coast.

No comments:

Post a Comment